Hey Hodlen! Welcome to IOTA! I wish that your introduction to this new technology wasn't so bumpy; I hope we can resolve this issue and restore access to your IOTAs!
If your seed is longer than 81 trytes, then you are in the same boat as me. I originally created a seed that was 200 trytes, and the wallet insisted on truncating it to 81 trytes. Of course, that was after I'd received IOTAs to addresses generated using the 200-tryte seed!
I was able to regain access to my IOTAs and transfer them to addresses generated from an 81-tryte seed, but the process was a bit complicated and required a bit of coding.
Here's what the process looks like:
- Generate a new 81-tryte seed.
- Log into the wallet using the new seed.
- Generate an address in the wallet (attaching to tangle is optional).
- Set up a full node on your system*
- Drop into the terminal and launch a Python (or Node.js) shell.
- Create an IOTA API instance with your original (longer than 81 trytes) seed.
- Manually construct a transaction to transfer all of your IOTAs to the address that you generated in step 3.
- Pass the resulting bundle to the full node for PoW.
- Broadcast the resulting bundle.
Within a few minutes, the IOTAs should appear in your wallet using the new seed.
* Depending on the library you use, PoW might be built in, so you don't actually have to run a full node. Also note that you do not have to have a copy of the Tangle in order to perform PoW.
If you would like to go this route, I can help by providing the Terminal commands and the Python code that you will need to execute (note: I'm on a Mac, so you may need to do things slightly differently if you are using Windows). Let me know!